Once you have decided to purchase a jet ski, you will need a way to transport it. It can be hard to know how much a jet ski trailer will cost especially with the many different kinds. so here is a guide to let you know just how much they will end up costing.
A nice, new single trailer will cost around $1,000, while a new double trailer will cost around $2,000. If you are buying a used trailer, it could cost you around $400-$800 depending on how well it was taken care of.
If you have a jet ski or plan to get one, a trailer is absolutely essential. However, the price can add up, so here is what you need to know.
Cost of a Jet Ski Trailer- What Goes into It
If you are looking for a jet ski trailer, I would recommend looking online to see if anyone is selling a used one. If you can find a used trailer that still has good bearings and no rust, then you have found a great deal. Buying used is always much cheaper than buying new.
If you have the money, it is a smart idea to buy new so that you will not have to worry about replacing parts anytime soon. When it comes to your jet ski, you want the best care possible.
Trailer frames are either made of steel or aluminum. The material that the trailer is made out of while definitely affect the price. If you take your jet ski into the ocean where it is in saltwater you will need to get an aluminum trailer because they resist salt-water induced corrosion. Steel is less expensive than aluminum, and one way to make the steel stronger is by coating it in powder-coated steel which makes it thicker and more durable.
The reason that steel trailers are cheaper is that they rust much easier than aluminum. If you cannot afford an aluminum trailer, but you are still around saltwater, then galvanized steel is the way to go. Galvanizing is when a layer of zinc is added to the surface of the steel. The zinc prevents the steel from corroding so it can stay rust-free.
Aluminum trailers are lighter than the steel ones and they do not rust. It is important to keep in mind that aluminum can corrode under extreme alkaline conditions. If your aluminum trailer is exposed to saltwater than you will need to clean it off after or else it can corrode.
Before you look for a trailer you will need to measure your jet ski and see how wide and long it is so you can know which trailer is best for you.
I am going to show you a guide to some of the best new trailers to buy.
Best Single Trailers to Buy
- Ironton Personal Watercraft and Boat Trailer Kit– This is a cheap option you can buy on Amazon. It sells for around $600 plus $170 in shipping. It can carry 610 pounds of jet ski weight.
- Sea-Doo Move Trailers- Sea-Doo has made their own trailers to sell for both single and double trailers. You will have to call a dealer near your area to find out how much one will cost for your jet ski. These trailers are very popular and do not just work for Sea-Doo watercraft but all kinds. You can trust that these trailers will get the job done in a safe manner.
- Karavan Trailers- These trailers are more expensive than the ones on Amazon but they have some amazing aluminum designs that are lightweight and easy to control when driving your vehicle. Karavan makes a large variety of different kinds of trailers so that you can find one that your jet ski will fit on just perfectly. Click here for more details.
- Direct Boats Trailers- Direct boats sell a lot of great brand new trailers. They are having a huge pre-Labor Day sale right now. Because these are brand new, the cost will be higher than other trailers, but they are dependable. Check here for more details.
- Aluma Trailer- This is another great option for a single trailer for your jet ski. These trailers are made of aluminum and will last you a long time. They are lighter than the steel trailers and will be perfect for your jet ski. Aluminum is strong and these trailers come with LED lighting packages. Here is the website with more details.
Visit our Boating/Personal Watercraft Page for More Great Content!
Best Double Trailers to Buy
- Magic Tilt PWC Series Double- These trailers are made of aluminum and are an excellent choice for trailering your jet ski. It will make it easy for you to travel and once you get to the place you want to go it will be simple to take your jet skis off. If you can find a good deal on these trailers then you should buy one while you can. Check out this site for more information.
- Triton Trailer- These are another group of trailers that are made with the best materials out there. Triton makes trailers based on your experience and how heavy-duty your jet ski is so that they can make it as simple for you as possible. These also make sure to fit the bigger jet skis you may have that seat 3 people. Check out this site for more details.
- Sea-Doo Move Trailers- These are trailers that are great prices and perfect for your jet skis. Sea-Doo has perfected the art of their jet skis as well as their trailers. Another great plus about the Sea-Doo Move trailers is that they sell parts in case you need a new wheel or a new marine jack. There are many different options for double trailers that come from Sea-Doo. Check out this site for more information.
- Echo PWC Trailers- There are many great choices from Echo’s watercraft trailers that will fit your jet skis perfectly. Since 1989, Echo has been making some of the best trailers for PWC out there! They have a gas can rack in case you will need extra fuel. They have a swing-up jack that is quick and easy saving you from the physical stress. These trailers also have larger tires than other trailers out there because they want to ensure the weight of your jet ski is protected at all costs. Check out this site for more information.
Buying a Jet Ski Trailer Used
If you are not willing to drop a grand or two on a new trailer, I recommend is checking online at places like Craigslist or eBay for used trailers that you can go look at and maybe purchase.
It is hard to say for sure what price you will be able to buy a used trailer at, but a double trailer will be more expensive. It is up to the discretion of the seller what price the trailer is sold at. Just like a new jet ski is super expensive, a new trailer is expensive. Keep an eye out for deals out there before you go spend a lot of money on something new.
Generally, older trailers will be less expensive.
To make sure that you are getting a good deal, look up the model of the trailer new, so you can see how good (or bad) of a deal you are getting. Trailers should depreciate yearly, so keep that in mind as well. Don’t pay $800 for a trailer that is more than 5 years old, if it was originally only a $1,000.
Like mentioned earlier, you will want to make sure that there is little-to-no rust on the trailer. Rust is a sign of corrosion and a sign that the previous owner did not take care of the trailer like it should have been. Or, it could mean that it is old. In any case, it may not last very long and may not be a safe investment.
When buying a used trailer, check it out in person before handing over any money. If it is your first trailer, take someone with you who has experience with a jet ski trailer to make sure it is in good condition.
Seeing the trailer and the seller in person is a great way to be able to negotiate down the price.
Buying a Jet Ski Trailer and Staying on Budget
When it comes to trailers, you want to make sure that you ask yourself these questions:
- Do I need a trailer that will hold 1 or 2 jet skis?
- Do I ride in saltwater more than I ride in other water?
- What budget do I have for a trailer?
- Can I afford an aluminum trailer?
- Which trailers can I trust?
- Have I done research on different kinds of trailers?