Is Catch and Release a Law?


Fishing is a very fun hobby and can be the reason for many great memories that can bring families and friends together. But fishing can also be quite devastating to the fish if we, as fishermen and fisherwomen, are not using our equipment properly or not following the laws set to protect the fish.

Is catch and release a law? In some parts of the nation, there are catch and release laws. When fishing in a catch and release area, it is imperative that the angler follows the law. These laws are in place to protect the population of fish from being overfished.

Now this might sound like I’m some freak environmentalist about to tell you that your most favorite hobby is a sin and should stop immediately. But the opposite is quite true. I get upset when I realize I’m fishing in a ‘no barbed hooks’ section of a river or at a certain lake.

But I’ve realized that if we, as fisherpeople want to be able to continue fishing in some of the best holes in America, we need to be aware of the impact on the fish. There are laws and we need to follow them.

However, many people do want to go catch their dinner, and that is totally legal if done the right way and followed by the state laws.

Ways to Have Fun, Get Dinner, and Obey the Law

Many people use fishing as a sport or a hobby. They don’t have the intent to keep the fish or fry them up for food or anything. While catch and release is a general rule when you go out fishing, there are many places with the intent to keep and most likely eat later on. It really depends on the location of where you are fishing and where you live.

You need a fishing license almost anywhere you go. Each state distributes them and they really aren’t hard to get a hold of. But you have to get permission for intent to keep, bait, etc. They tend to be pretty cheap as well which is nice since a lot of people try and catch fish to save a few bucks on dinner.

There are so many fish out there depending on where you live, but in most cases, just like hunting, there are certain seasons for all types of fish. You always want to make sure that you don’t keep a fish that you aren’t supposed to, even if you think it meets tight right requirements for the length and weight and sometimes other regulations, depending on the state or park.

Sometimes people will have a super good day of fishing and every 10 minutes they have a new bight, which is always nice! But, that doesn’t always mean you can keep all of them even if they are big enough. Most states have a cap on how many fish you can keep in a day or a week. So, for instance in Idaho, if you catch more than 6 salmon, you have to start catching and releasing them. Every state is most likely going to be different though.

Fishing can be really fun for people, but always make sure you are doing it the right way. Enjoying nature while casting a line and hanging out with some friends is awesome. In most occasions, you will probably catch and release the fish, even when you are looking for ones to keep. A lot of the time they don’t meet regulations and are too small. So, in that case, you just want to make sure you are doing it the right way.

Catch and Release The Right Way

Most people think that once you take that hook out and it swims away it is totally okay. Unfortunately, that is not always the case and you could be doing something wrong that you aren’t even aware of because the little guys always swim away. Sometimes when the hooks are taken out wrong, the fish can bleed to death.

First off, always take the hook out upon releasing the fish. the hooks don’t just rust away and can kill the fish and cause it a ton of pain in its life. Try to use a circle hook as well as they are easy to take out of the fish.

  • Pinch the barb on your hook flat so it makes it a bit easier
  • Bring the fish to the boat/quickly so it is not exposed to air as long. making it as minimal as possible.
  • Try to keep the fish in the water as long as possible. As you are measuring it, or whatever it may be, it is best to try and keep it in the water.
  • If you are deciding which fish to keep, don’t always just pick the biggest one. When keeping one to eat later on, try and pick ones that have the worst hook. If your biggest fish has an easy hook and is an easy release, try doing that first.
  • Have the right tools and a plan so you are properly prepared. Try not to just rip the hook out without knowing what you are doing.
  • If the hook is deep in the fish’s throat, consider using needlenose pliers as they will be able to get into the fish’s mouth without

Sometimes it is totally okay to keep some fish and feed your family! It is always fun to catch and release but its also nice to be able to put food on the table, just make sure you are doing it legally and not keeping anything and everything.

Always be sure to check the state laws, park regulations, and sometimes it even varies from river to river or lake to lake. It can be hard to keep up with it all, but once you find your spot you don’t have anything else to worry about anyways.

Related Questions

Is catch and release cruel? No. More than 90% of the fish that are caught and then release go on to live a full life. There is a chance, however, that the fish could be hooked in a bad way, which could cause issues, but it is a very low percentage. Most of that 10% is releasing wrong.

Will leaving a hook in a fish kill it? Most fish are very tough creatures that can adapt and last for a long time. If getting the hook out would risk the life of the fish, then it would be okay to leave it in. Try your best, however, not to leave the hook in a fish.

What are the best fishing hooks? This question is completely opinionated, but the main two in the debate are the older circle hooks and the newer octopus hooks. When it comes down to catch and release, then the circle hooks are better because they are easier to release. This also means that there is a higher chance of the fish coming off.

Tim Butala

My name is Tim and I have been a fisherman my whole life. My favorite fish to go after is a Stripped Bass.

Recent Content

outdoortroop-21 outdoortoop-20